On Wednesday February 21, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first time playing with software raid so sorry if I sound dumb.
> What I have is a remote device that only has one hard drive.  There is no
> ability for a second.  Can I use the raidtools package to setup a raid-1
> mirror on two partitions on the same drive?  For example /dev/hda1 and
> /dev/hda2 consist of the raid 1 set, /dev/hda3 swap, and /dev/hda4 for
> the rest of the OS.  I know raid is normally used with multiple drives,
> but is this possible?

Yes, it is possible, but would it help?
If your drive fails, then you loose the data anyway.
I guess this would protect against bad sectors in one part of the
drive, but my experience is that once you get a bad sector or two your
drive isn't long for this world.

Also, write speed would be appalling as the head would be zipping back
and forth between the two partitions.

However, the best answer is "try it", and see if it does what you
want.

> P.S.  Could you please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I am not on the
> list and could not find any info on how to join.

echo help | mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

should get you started.

NeilBrown