hi ya

best way to test raid5 is to write large ( 1Gb-2Gb ) data files to it...
and than compare the files....

-- oooppss... just re-read david's post.... skip the part about
   powering down the disks..etc...

than pull one of the disks offline....
and see if it still compares...

insert a fresh disk in its place...
and see if it re-syncs while you are creating a new "large file"

-- for testing raid1 mirroring...
        - write to "A".... and take "a" offline
        and see if the mirror ( "B" ) has the data you just wrote

taking scsi drives offline is tough ???
taking ide drives offline is easy ... use hdparm to shut it down ???

===
=== best way to make sure you dont lose the data on the Raid
=== is to have a backup somewhere else...
===

have fun raiding
alvin
http://www.Linux-1U.net ... 1U Raid5 ... 500Gb each ..