Thankyou for all the suggestions for names for mdctl.
We have

 raidctl raidctrl
 swraidctl
 mdtools mdutils
 mdmanage mdmgr mdmd:-) mdcfg mdconfig mdadmin

Mike Black suggested that it is valuable for tools that are related to
start with a common prefix so that command completion can be used
to find them.
I think that is very true but, in this case, irrelevant.
mdctl (to whatever it gets called) will be one tool that does
everything.

I might arrange - for back compatability - that if you call it with a
name like
   raidhotadd
it will default to the hot-add functionality, but I don't expect that
to be normal usage.

I have previously said that I am not very fond of raidctl as "raid" is
a bit too generic.  "swraidctl" is better but harder to pronouce.

I actually rather like "md".  It has a pleasing similarity to "mt".
Also
   man 1 md       -- would document the user interface
   man 5 md       -- would document the device driver.
This elegant.  But maybe a bit too terse.

I'm currently leaning towards mdadm or mdadmin as it is easy to
pronounce (for my palate anyway) and has the right sort of meaning.

I think I will keep that name at mdctl until I achieve all the
functionality I want, and then when I release v1.0 I will change the
name to what seems best at the time.

Thanks again for the suggestions and interest.

For the eager,
  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/source/mdctl/mdctl-v0.3.tgz
contains my latest source which has most of the functionality in
place, though it doesn't all work quite right yet.
You can create a raid5 array with:

  mdctl --create /dev/md0 --level raid5 --chunk 32 --raid-disks 3 \
    /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

and stop it with
  mdctl --stop /dev/md0

and the assemble it with

  mdctl --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

I wouldn't actually trust a raid array that you build this way
though.  Some fields in the super block aren't right yet.

I am very interested in comments on the interface and usability.

NeilBrown