On Tuesday June 26, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently have to salvage data from an ancient box that looks like
> to have run kernel 2.0.35. However, the system on that disk is
> corrupted and won't boot any more (at least not on today's hardware).
> It looks like main data is on a RAID.
>
> /etc/mdtab:
> |/dev/md0     linear          /dev/hda3       /dev/hdb2
>
> Can I access that RAID from a current system running kernel 2.2 or
> 2.4? Do I have to build a new 2.0 kernel? What type of raidtools do I
> need to activate that RAID?

You should be able to access this just fine from a 2.2 kernel using
raidtools-0.41 from
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/raid/

If you need to use 2.4, then you should still be able to access it
using raidtools 0.90 from
   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/raid/alpha/

in this case you would need an /etc/raidtab like
---------------------------------
raiddev /dev/md0
raid-level linear
nr-raid-disks 2
persistent-superblock 0

device /dev/hda3
raid-disk 0
device /dev/hdb2
raid-disk 1
-----------------------------------

Note that this is pure theory.  I have never actually done it myself.

It should be quite safe to experiment.  You are unlikely to corrupt
anything if you don't to anything outrageously silly like telling it
that it is a raid1 or raid5 array.

Note: the "persistent-superblock 0" is fairly important. These older
arrays did not have any raid-superblock on the device.  You want to
make sure you don't accidentally write one and so corrupt data.

I would go for a 2.2 kernel, raidtools  0.41 and the command:

 mdadd -r -pl /dev/md0 /dev/hda3 /dev/hdb2

NeilBrown