On Monday January 31, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi to all, md gurus!
>
> Is there a way to edit the preferred minor of a stopped device?

mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 --update=super-minor /dev/....

will assemble the array and update the preferred minor to 0 (from
/dev/md0).

However this won't work for you as you already have a /dev/md0
running...

> Alternatively, is there a way to create a raid1 device specifying the
> preferred minor number md0, but activating it provisionally as a different
> minor, say md5? An md0 is already running, so "mdadm --create /dev/md0"
> fails...
>
> I have to dump my /dev/md0 to a different disk (/dev/md5), but when I boot
> from the new disk, I want the kernel to autmatically detect the device
> as /dev/md0.

If you are running 2.6, then you just need to assemble it as /dev/md0
once and that will automatically update the superblock.  You could do
this with kernel parameters of
   raid=noautodetect md=0,/dev/firstdrive,/dev/seconddrive

NeilBrown