Hmm..  for me:

> smartctl -A -d ata /dev/sda

On my work machine with Debian Sarge:
smartctl version 5.32 Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or
more '-T permissive' options.

Did you apply the libata patch? I saw that here:

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#testinghelp

I'm on kernel 2.6.10 and haven't applied any patches.. maybe it's
included on 2.6.11 now or a difference between smartctl 5.32 and 5.33?

The drives I have are on an Intel ICH5 SATA controller. I am doing a
few RAIDed partitions between a couple of 120GB drives since I
reinstalled my work machine a few weeks ago. I think I'm using libata
(the option marked as 'conflicting' with it isn't enabled in my
kernel). Any thoughts?

Derek

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:53:11 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Good point about maxing out the pci bus... - I already use the nForce for
> mirrored boot drives, so that's not an option. The IDE controllers are empty
> at the moment (save for a DVD drive); I will give this a thought.
>
> Thanks for the feedback,
>
> -P

Derek Piper - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://doofer.org/