On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 09:06:44AM +0100, Nils-Henner Krueger wrote:
I've got a few questions about raid autodetection at boot time.

i usually have a single answer, don't use it. but i see you are struck with rh, so...

To use a mirrored boot device, I have to use raid autodetection
to have the md devices running early enough?
yes

To have autodection recognise a disk device, it has to run after
the appropriate device driver, right?
yes

In my current setup, running RHEL3 with kernel 2.4.21, I have
the system installed on a scsi disk. The scsi driver ist loaded
was that an _is_ or an _isn't_ ???

as module and added to the initrd.
Currently raid autodection takes place long before the scsi
device driver is loaded:
redhats' mkinitrd reruns autodetection after module loading.

Is there a way to run raid autodection (again?) later in the
boot sequence to detect not only IDE devices but other things
like scsi, too?

you better use mdadm instead. i even wrote a tool, mdassemble which is shipped with mdadm and is suited for replacing autodetection in initrds.

Last question:  :-)
Is it possible to make a distinction between some md-devices which
should be detected and started by raid autodetection and others which
should be left untouched?
autodetection only considers type fd partition, mdadm and raidstart
don't actually care.

--
Luca Berra -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       Communication Media & Services S.r.l.