On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 06:50:30AM -0400, andy liebman wrote:
-- I edited fstab and lilo.conf on the the RAID1 "/" partition so that they would refer to /dev/md1
-- I ran chroot on the /dev/md1 partition
did you mount /dev, /proc and /sys before chrooting?
i.e
mount --bind /dev /newroot/dev
mount -t proc /proc /newroot/proc
mount -t sysfs /sys /newroot/sys

Why do I have to do this? I haven't seen this in any "recipies". My
you need it because mkinitrd will need info from /proc and /sys to work
correctly and lilo will try to access /proc/partitions and /dev/md1 if
your /boot is on /dev/md1.

Linux setup only has three partitions:   "/", swap, and "/home".
/dev /proc and /sys are not disk based filesystems
/dev is a ram disk which is populated at runtime by udev
/proc and /sys are virtual filesystem that expose some of your hw and
kernel configuration to userspace

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about mounting /dev, /proc and /sys.

just run:
mount --bind /dev /newroot/dev
mount -t proc /proc /newroot/proc
mount -t sysfs /sys /newroot/sys
before chrooting

L.
btw, be sure to add "auto=yes" to the ARRAY lines in /etc/mdadm.conf
or you might find some arrays are not recognized after boot.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       Communication Media & Services S.r.l.