On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 02:26:31PM +0200, Lars Schimmer wrote:

Michael Tokarev wrote:
Lars Schimmer wrote:
Hi!

I´ve got a software RAiD5 with 6 250GB HDs.
Now I changed one disk after another to a 400GB HD and resynced the
raid5 after each change.
Now the RAID5 has got 6 400GB HDs and still uses only 6*250GB space.
How can I grow the md0 device to use 6*400GB?

mdadm --grow is your friend.

Oh, damn, right. I was focussed on --grow to add a new HD to the RAID....
But isn´t there a switch to grow to max possible value?
Do I always have to search for the biggest value and type it in by hand?
man mdadm
      -z, --size=
             This value can be set with --grow for RAID level 1/4/5/6. If the
             array  was created with a size smaller than the currently active
             drives, the extra space can be accessed using --grow.  The  size
             can  be given as max which means to choose the largest size that
             fits on all current drives.

--
Luca Berra -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       Communication Media & Services S.r.l.