On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Paul Waldo wrote:

> What about bitmaps?  Nobody has mentioned them.  It is my understanding that
> you just turn them on with "mdadm /dev/mdX -b internal".  Any caveats for
> this?

bitmaps have been working great for me on a raid5 and raid1.  it makes it
that much more tolerable when i accidentally crash the box and don't have
to wait forever for a resync.

i don't notice the extra write traffic all that much... under heavy
traffic i see about 3 writes/s to the spare disk in the raid5 -- i assume
those are all due to the bitmap in the superblock on the spare.

i've considered using an external bitmap, i forget why i didn't do that
initially.  the filesystem on the raid5 already has an external journal on
raid1.

-dean