On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 07:20:35AM -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> Including XFS mailing list on this one.

Thanks Justin.

> On Thu, 24 May 2007, Pallai Roland wrote:
>

> >Hi,
> >
> >I wondering why the md raid5 does accept writes after 2 disks failed. I've
> >an
> >array built from 7 drives, filesystem is XFS. Yesterday, an IDE cable
> >failed
> >(my friend kicked it off from the box on the floor:) and 2 disks have been
> >kicked but my download (yafc) not stopped, it tried and could write the
> >file
> >system for whole night!
> >Now I changed the cable, tried to reassembly the array (mdadm -f --run),
> >event counter increased from 4908158 up to 4929612 on the failed disks,
> >but I
> >cannot mount the file system and the 'xfs_repair -n' shows lot of errors
> >there. This is expainable by the partially successed writes. Ext3 and JFS
> >has "error=" mount option to switch filesystem read-only on any error, but
> >XFS hasn't: why?

"-o ro,norecovery" will allow you to mount the filesystem and get any
uncorrupted data off it.

You still may get shutdowns if you trip across corrupted metadata in
the filesystem, though.

> >It's a good question too, but I think the md layer could
> >save dumb filesystems like XFS if denies writes after 2 disks are failed,
> >and
> >I cannot see a good reason why it's not behave this way.

How is *any* filesystem supposed to know that the underlying block
device has gone bad if it is not returning errors?

I did mention this exact scenario in the filesystems workshop back
in february - we'd *really* like to know if a RAID block device has gone
into degraded mode (i.e. lost a disk) so we can throttle new writes
until the rebuil dhas been completed. Stopping writes completely on a
fatal error (like 2 lost disks in RAID5, and 3 lost disks in RAID6)
would also be possible if only we could get the information out
of the block layer.

> >Do you have better idea how can I avoid such filesystem corruptions in the
> >future? No, I don't want to use ext3 on this box. :)

Well, the problem is a bug in MD - it should have detected
drives going away and stopped access to the device until it was
repaired. You would have had the same problem with ext3, or JFS,
or reiser or any other filesystem, too.

> >my mount error:
> >XFS: Log inconsistent (didn't find previous header)
> >XFS: failed to find log head
> >XFS: log mount/recovery failed: error 5
> >XFS: log mount failed

You MD device is still hosed - error 5 = EIO; the md device is
reporting errors back the filesystem now. You need to fix that
before trying to recover any data...

Cheers,

Dave.
--