On 30 May 2007, Bill Davidsen stated:

> Nix wrote:
>> On 29 May 2007, Jan Engelhardt uttered the following:
>>

>>> from your post at
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-raid@vger.kernel.org/msg07384.html I read
>>> that autodetecting arrays with a
>>> 1.x superblock is currently impossible. Does it at least work to force the
>>> kernel to always assume a 1.x sb? There are some
>>> 'broken' distros out there that still don't use mdadm in initramfs, and
>>> recreating the initramfs each time is a bit cumbersome...
>>
>> The kernel build system should be able to do that for you, shouldn't it?
>>
> That would be an improvement, yes.

Allow me to rephrase: the kernel build system *can* do that for you ;)
that is, it can build a gzipped cpio archive from components located
anywhere on the filesystem or arbitrary source located under usr/.

--
`On a scale of one to ten of usefulness, BBC BASIC was several points ahead
 of the competition, scoring a relatively respectable zero.' --- Peter Corlett