On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

Justin Piszcz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Alberto Alonso wrote:

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 17:26 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Mike Accetta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

What I would like to see is a timeout driven fallback mechanism. If
one mirror does not return the requested data within a certain time
(say 1 second) then the request should be duplicated on the other
mirror. If the first mirror later unchokes then it remains in the
raid, if it fails it gets removed. But (at least reads) should not
have to wait for that process.

Even better would be if some write delay could also be used. The still
working mirror would get an increase in its serial (so on reboot you
know one disk is newer). If the choking mirror unchokes then it can
write back all the delayed data and also increase its serial to
match. Otherwise it gets really failed. But you might have to use
bitmaps for this or the cache size would limit its usefullnes.

MfG
        Goswin

I think a timeout on both: reads and writes is a must. Basically I
believe that all problems that I've encountered issues using software
raid would have been resolved by using a timeout within the md code.

This will keep a server from crashing/hanging when the underlying
driver doesn't properly handle hard drive problems. MD can be
smarter than the "dumb" drivers.

Just my thoughts though, as I've never got an answer as to whether or
not md can implement its own timeouts.

Alberto

I have a question with re-mapping sectors, can software raid be as
efficient or good at remapping bad sectors as an external raid
controller for, e.g., raid 10 or raid5?

Justin.

Software raid makes no remapping of bad sectors at all. It assumes the
disks will do sufficient remapping.

MfG
       Goswin

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.