Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone who wrote in with comments and explanations. And in particular it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who's confused.

I'm going to convert back to the RAID 1 setup I had before for /boot, 2 hot and 2 spare across four drives. No, that's wrong: 4 hot makes the most sense.

And given that RAID 10 doesn't seem to confer (for me, as far as I can tell) advantages in speed or reliability -- or the ability to mount just one surviving disk of a mirrored pair -- over RAID 5, I think I'll convert back to RAID 5, put in a hot spare, and do regular backups (as always). Oh, and use reiserfs with data=journal.

Depending on near/far choices, raid10 should be faster than raid5, with far read should be quite a bit faster. You can't boot off raid10, and if you put your swap on it many recovery CDs won't use it. But for general use and swap on a normally booted system it is quite fast.
Comments back:

Peter Rabbitson wrote:

Maybe you are, depending on your settings, but this is beyond the point. No matter what 1+0 you have (linux, classic, or otherwise) you can not boot from it, as there is no way to see the underlying filesystem without the RAID layer.

Sir, thank you for this unequivocal comment. This comment clears up all my confusion. I had a wrong mental model of how file system maps work.

With the current state of affairs (available mainstream bootloaders) the rule is:
Block devices containing the kernel/initrd image _must_ be either:
    * a regular block device (/sda1, /hda, /fd0, etc.)
* or a linux RAID 1 with the superblock at the end of the device (0.9 or 1.2)

Thaks even more: 1.2 it is.

This is how you find the actual raid version:

mdadm -D /dev/md[X] | grep Version

This will return a string of the form XX.YY.ZZ. Your superblock version is XX.YY.

Ah hah!

Mr. Tokarev wrote:

By the way, on all our systems I use small (256Mb for small-software systems, sometimes 512M, but 1G should be sufficient) partition for a root filesystem
(/etc, /bin, /sbin, /lib, and /boot), and put it on a raid1 on all...
... doing [it]
this way, you always have all the tools necessary to repair a damaged system even in case your raid didn't start, or you forgot where your root disk is
etc etc.

An excellent idea. I was going to put just /boot on the RAID 1, but there's no reason why I can't add a bit more room and put them all there. (Because I was having so much fun on the install, I'm using 4GB that I was going to use for swap space to mount base install and I'm working from their to build the RAID. Same idea.)

Hmmm... I wonder if this more expansive /bin, /sbin, and /lib causes hits on the RAID1 drive which ultimately degrade overall performance? /lib is hit only at boot time to load the kernel, I'll guess, but /bin includes such common tools as bash and grep.

Also, placing /dev on a tmpfs helps alot to minimize number of writes
necessary for root fs.

Another interesting idea. I'm not familiar with using tmpfs (no need, until now); but I wonder how you create the devices you need when you're doing a rescue.

Again, my thanks to everyone who responded and clarified.

--
Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still