Peter Rabbitson wrote:
Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
Here's a baseline question: if I create a RAID10 array using default settings, what do I get? I thought I was getting RAID1+0; am I really?

Maybe you are, depending on your settings, but this is beyond the point. No matter what 1+0 you have (linux, classic, or otherwise) you can not boot from it, as there is no way to see the underlying filesystem without the RAID layer.

With the current state of affairs (available mainstream bootloaders) the rule is:
Block devices containing the kernel/initrd image _must_ be either:
    * a regular block device (/sda1, /hda, /fd0, etc.)
* or a linux RAID 1 with the superblock at the end of the device (0.9 or 1.2)

If any poor soul finds this in the mailing list archives, the above should read:

* or a linux RAID 1 with the superblock at the end of the device (either version 0.9 or _1.0_)