On Sun Feb 03, 2008 at 01:15:10PM -0600, Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:

> I've been reading the draft and checking it against my experience. Because
> of local power fluctuations, I've just accidentally checked my system:  My
> system does *not* survive a power hit. This has happened twice already
> today.
>
> I've got /boot and a few other pieces in a 4-disk RAID 1 (three running,
> one spare). This partition is on /dev/sd[abcd]1.
>
> I've used grub to install grub on all three running disks:
>
> grub --no-floppy <<EOF
> root (hd0,1)
> setup (hd0)
> root (hd1,1)
> setup (hd1)
> root (hd2,1)
> setup (hd2)
> EOF
>
> (To those reading this thread to find out how to recover: According to
> grub's "map" option, /dev/sda1 maps to hd0,1.)

This is wrong - the disk you boot from will always be hd0 (no matter
what the map file says - that's only used after the system's booted).
You need to remap the hd0 device for each disk:

grub --no-floppy <<EOF
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
device (hd0) /dev/sdb
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
device (hd0) /dev/sdc
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
device (hd0) /dev/sdd
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
EOF

> After the power hit, I get:
>
> > Error 16
> > Inconsistent filesystem mounted
>
> I then tried to boot up on hda1,1, hdd2,1 -- none of them worked.
>
> The culprit, in my opinion, is the reiserfs file system. During the power
> hit, the reiserfs file system of /boot was left in an inconsistent state;
> this meant I had up to three bad copies of /boot.

Could well be - I always use ext2 for the /boot filesystem and don't
have it automounted.  I only mount the partition to install a new
kernel, then unmount it again.

Cheers,
        Robin
--
     ___
    ( ' }     |       Robin Hill        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |