Hi Neil,

Neil Brown wrote:
For now, you will have to live with a smallish bitmap, which probably
isn't a real problem.  With 19078 bits, you will still get a
several-thousand-fold increase it resync speed after a crash
(i.e. hours become seconds) and to some extent, fewer bits are better
and you have to update them less.

I've haven't made any measurements to see what size bitmap is
ideal... maybe someone should :-)

I've made some tries with a 4 250GB disks RAID-5 array and the write speed is really ugly with the default internal bitmap size. Setting a bigger bitmap chunk size (16 MB for example) creates a small bitmap. The write speed is then almost the same as when there is no bitmap, which is great. And as you said, the resync is a matter of seconds (or minutes) instead of hours (without bitmap). With such a setting, I've got both a nice write speed and a nice resync speed. That's where I would look at to find MY ideal bitmap size.

Neil, is there an issue to use the --bitmap-chunk option while using an internal bitmap ? The man page does not clearly say to avoid using it and the mdadm source code does not prevent setting this size in the case of an internal bitmap.

Regarding my measurements, it showed that the default bitmap size is 4x slower than a small bitmap in v1.0 superblock. With v1.1 and v1.2 superblocks, the default is 2x slower. We are far from the 10% slowdown claimed by http://linux-raid.osdl.org

I've also tried to play with the bitmap flush period (--delay option), but I would need to understand how it works to see if this can have an effect on performance.

Regards,
Hubert