On 12/05/2011 01:05 AM, Or Gerlitz wrote:

To be concrete/constructive here, a per IB stack module individual has to be assigned for that backporting, which doesn't mean "make IB code from kernel X to build under kernel Y" - lets
see if we have people to actually do that.

For example, on the iser space, and for the stack provided by Mellanox to customers - I took the approach of iser_backport(X,Y) = ~Y --- which means that if I have to backport the iser code from kernel X into kernel Y, I simply use the iser code that comes with Y

I do that since Y has well/tight integrated iscsi stack for which the maintainers worked very hard to produce, and I can't re-invent backporting that stack.

The tilde in ~Y stands for slight verb changes that could arise from the backporting the rest of the IB stack has gone through, from X to Y, so if the verb to create CQ has another param in X vs what it had in Y- I add it under the ~ umbrella, is that clear?

What if you had some feature in kernel X's iser that you wanted in the kernel Y backport? By your definition, this wouldn't be possible it seems. If we're only using the functionality of kernel Y, then what's the point? Maybe I'm confused.

Steve.