On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 11:48:18 -0800
Garrett Cooper <yaneg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Jason Gunthorpe
> <jguntho...@obsidianresearch.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 08:31:19AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> >
> >> Calling ``newname=$(hostname)`` would be better (assuming that the
> >> network was setup enough where one could get this information).
> >
> > Calling hostname is always preferred to mucking about with files in
> > /etc/. hostname never requires the network, hostname -f might
> > sometimes.
>
> Yes, but OSes don't set the hostname until a little later on in the
> boot process (FreeBSD for instance), depending upon how the system was
> first booted and the host's network configuration (DHCP*/SLAAC/etc).
> That's more of what I was driving at when I said "assuming that the
> network was setup enough where one could get this information".

set_nodedesc.sh was deprecated and moved to a compat build a while ago.

As such I think the best thing to do is use hostname as Jason says and call it
good.  I believe that users attempting to set the NodeDescription within boot
scripts can do so with the sysfs files.

Jon I would accept a patch if you would like to redo this one but I am going to
reject the patch as it stands.

Thanks,
Ira

> Thanks,