On 14/11/2013 02:19, Hefty, Sean wrote:
The patch series is around for couple of weeks already and went
through the review of Sean and Bart, with all their feedback being
applied. Also Sagi and Co enhanced krping to fully cover (and test...)
the proposed API and driver implementation @
git://beany.openfabrics.org/~sgrimberg/krping.git
Somewhat separate from this specific patch, this is my concern.

There are continual requests to modify the kernel verbs interfaces.  These
requests boil down to exposing proprietary capabilities to the latest version
of some vendor's hardware.  In turn, these hardware specific knobs bleed into
the kernel clients.
Disagree, the verbs changes proposal in the signature case where submitted as an RFC for few weeks so all vendors may comments and ask for changes. Isn't that what open source development is all about. We can't stop progress, we open new functionalists and features for everyone to comment and agree on mutual interface. Is there other way u had in mind we should define non vendor specific API? we will be glad to collaborate but please come with alternate process u think is best. Such comments only hold back new functionalities from being accepted and backs down Verbs API progress.
At the very least, it seems that there should be some sort of discussion if
this is a desirable property of the kernel verbs interface, and if this is the
architecture that the kernel should continue to pursue.  Or, is there an
alternative way of providing the same ability of coding ULPs to specific HW
features, versus plugging every new feature into 'post send'?
Current Verbs semantics define post send as the operation aggregator that enables posting list of WQE in single call so users can serialize multiple operation requests and post in single API call. Since signature is mainly an enhancement of existing RDMA operation, seems like it fits best there. Defining more specific APIs per application type: Storage, Cloud, HPC, .. is indeed important and in the process of being defined as part of the Open Framework working group u r co-chairing. Thus, it doesn't make sense to break the post send verbs semantics in this case.

Tzahi

- Sean