On 7/14/2015 3:24 PM, Tom Talpey wrote:
On 7/14/2015 4:06 AM, Sagi Grimberg wrote:
All protocols cares about transferring data and sending messages, so
it's not a good enough reason for a poor registration method choice.
This just emphasizes why we need to converge to a single method.

In my opinion, we already have it.

For local registrations, ib_reg_phys_mr()/ib_get_dma_mr(). These are not
quite equivalent, btw.

For remote registrations, ib_post_send(FRMR).

Unfortunately, there exist ancient adapters in-tree that don't support
FRMR, and some ULPs have attempted to work on them. That's why the
situation is confusing.

Exactly. This is why I'd prefer not to make an effort to have a unified
API that maintains any form of (confusing) fallback policy.