Hi Eugeniu,

On 2019-04-12 16:12:05 +0200, Eugeniu Rosca wrote:
> Hi Niklas,
>
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 10:42:37PM +0200, Niklas Söderlund wrote:
> > Hi Eugenie,
> >
> > On 2019-04-11 22:28:19 +0200, Eugeniu Rosca wrote:
> > > Hi Niklas,
> > >
> > > Two simple questions:
> > >  - I can only clone git://git.ragnatech.se/linux, but can't access it on
> > >    the web, does it have some web interface?
> >
> > There should be a gitweb instance running at https://git.ragnatech.se/
> > if not let me know since then something is wrong ;-)
>
> Yes, I am able to access the gitweb instance too :)
>

> > >  - Browsing through your v4l2/next/csi2/upport branch, it looks to be
> > >    targeted for upstream. Could we rely on those commits already or
> > >    they are still in development/testing?
> >
> > The patches in that branch are target for upstreaming but sometime
> > changes due to review comments. Best check the media-tree of what have
> > accepted and the patchwork instance if you want day fresh statuses. I
> > also rebase the branch from time to time on-top of the media-tree so you
> > should not depend on it much I'm afraid.
> >
> > If you plan to do some work on the rcar-csi2 driver you can always reach
> > out and check what the status is if you are unsure.
>
> Understood. Thanks. Since I've gone off-topic quite a bit already, may I
> have your feedback on below questions sitting in the back of my mind for
> some time:

Off topic is good ;-)

>  - There seem to be quite a number of non-mainlined rcar-vin patches
>    sitting on top of v4.14.75-ltsi and part of rcar-3.9.x release. With
>    some false positives, around 35-40 such commits can be identified as
>    shown in [1]. Based on my checks, only a small subset of them are
>    (actively) discussed in linux-media/linux-renesas-soc ML and for most
>    of them I can't find any trace. I am just curious if there is any
>    background force driving the upstreaming of those patches or the
>    submissions/discussions happen rather by accident?

Yes I'm driving the upstreaming of most of those out of tree patches.
Currently a lot of them are blocked on the organic growth of the
addition of Gen3 and my lack of understanding of v4l2 at the time. Now I
know better and I'm in the process of cleaning up the driver to prepare
upstreaming most of them. I will send out the first cleanup patch later
today.

I have in the past tried to upstream all patches and then cleanup the
feature complete driver but it's gotten to a point where that is more
painful then doing the right thing (tm).

If there is any particular patch that would be helpful for you to have
upstream earlier then others let me know and I can try to put it first
in the queue.

>  - I am seeing two sets of rcar-vin tests [2-3] and I think there is a
>    parent/fork relationship between them, but now they appear to be
>    diverged. Which one would you recommend? What's the test coverage
>    provided by these suites? Do you see room/chance for something like
>    drivers/gpu/drm/selftests in rcar-vin in future (maybe using
>    the upcoming kunit [4] approach?). BTW, we've been using the
>    vsp-tests for quite some time and they've been extremely useful in
>    pointing out regressions in our own patches. So, many thanks for
>    sharing those too.

The vin-tests at ragnatech.se is the parent one. It's not as nice as the
vsp-tests and I would like to add more tests and rewrite it in python3.
If you have additional tests pleas send me patches and I will be happy
to include them.

One idea I would really like to do is a HDMI loopback test. Connecting
the DU and VIN and running tests on that to allow automatic testing of
multiple resolutions and in the future scaling. As it is now all
vin-tests depends on external video sources. An alternate idea to this
is to create a remote "video server" on a RPi as it can deliver both
HDMI and CVBS video...

I see no issue with using a kernel test framework but I have little
experience in that area and it's not something I'm planing on worknig on
at the moment.

--
Regards,
Niklas Söderlund