On 8 Aug 2000, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
>Emmanuel Galanos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0 return code = 28000002
>> [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current sd08:10: sense key Not Ready
>> Additional sense indicates Logical unit not ready, initializing command required
>
>easy answer:
>
>   put the autostart jumper on the drive

If it's an SCA drive, there generally isn't a jumper.

>average:
>
>   send a START UNIT command to the raw device, I think there is an ioctl().

Technically, one could argue the kernel should issue a STOP START UNIT command
for you.  A command was sent to the drive that needs it to be spinning (and
the kernel is assuming it is spinning??? is there any state tracking?)  Of
course, one could argue the kernel should only do what it's told...

(In my case, all the drive shelves are set for delayed spinup.  And I'm using
 hardware RAID controllers :-))

--Ricky

-