Eddie Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What problem is trying to be solved with the Bus Device Reset?

Ensure that the drive is not in a bizarre negociated speed.

Example:

   host negociates ultra-wide with disk
   disk is disconnected from bus, but not powered down
   bus is reset for some reason
   disk is reconnected, still think ultra-wide is the norm
   host does inquiry (*)
   disk hangs

(*) if the first command does a new negociation, then it's not a problem.

I agree that this is a rare situation.

But today, it looks like in some cases the backwards situation can arise:
the kernel seems to think the device is in ultra wide just after
add-single-device. If the device was powered down, well, ...

My idea with the Bus Device Reset was to force the host adapter
to understand that he has to redo its negociation, since I don't
think you can tell him that another way.

-