Jens Axboe wrote:
On Wed, Mar 16 2005, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 05:53:39PM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:

The list doesn't really need dma mapping at that point, the problem here
is that the driver needs to punt to pio mode because of foo. So calling
pci/dma_map_* is pointless, since the CPU will have to do the transfer
anyways. What the driver is really looking for at this point, is a way
to map the pages in the sglist to a virtual address.

Given that there's quite a few cases of this "problem" it would be nice to have common helpers for it. Especially as it's really difficult when we allow merging of sg list entries

I thought about that when writing the above, but is there really more
than one case for SCSI drivers? If there is, sure lets add the helpers.
But I would consider it a quite rare occurence, I've never seen it
before.

I got lost here. If you are talking about the need to kmap a sglist then software iscsi has it. iscsi-sfnet used to do

while (...)
        kmap()

but I fixed that (I think I need to use kmap_atomic though, is that correct or is it just a performance improvement - I am calling kmap from a thread too so). I just added kmap_atomic to open-iscsi and I believe pyx does something similar to the loop above.