> As others stated, id is already a tag/label. You should be
> able to pass
> whatever id you want to scsi_scan_target, like the FC ID
> (port_id), and
> then we also want an abstract iterator in fc transport for the id for
> usage in scsi_scan.c:scsi_scan_channel. Then you can lose all the
> fc_host->next_target_id code.

All nice and well, but....

How did this help things ?  The issue was the device with a changing
target id. If the device comes back at the same address each and
every time, ok. But, with FC, the Port ID is temporal. It can change
on a loop init, fabric reconfig, or with a user cable swap (kicked
the cable and replugged).

If the port id changes during run time, what are you to do ? What if
a new port is seen at the old port id, how do you now deal with the
name conflict ? You know apps are going to key off the physical bus
address being the target - if it changes, this becomes very problematic.

This approach only works as long as the transport's id fits within
the target id (an int). How would the SAS address(8byte wwn) utilize
such a scheme ?

-- james s