Jeff Garzik wrote:
Alan Cox wrote:
I would be interested to know what the disk vendors intend to use as
their strategy when (with ATA) they have a 512 byte write from an older
file system/setup into a 4K block. The case where errors magically appear

Well, you have logical and physical sector size changes.

First generation of 1K sector drives will continue to use the same 512-byte ATA sector size you are familiar with. A single 512-byte write will cause the drive to perform a read-modify-write cycle. This configuration is physical 1K sector, logical 512b sector.
It would seem that most writes would avoid this - hopefully the drive firmware could use the write cache to coalesce contiguous IO's into 1k multiples when getting streams of 512 byte write requests.

A future configuration will change the logical ATA interface away from 512-byte sectors to 1K or 4K. Here, it is impossible to read a quantity smaller than 1K or 4K, whatever the sector size is.

    Jeff
I will try and see if I can get some specific information on when the various flavors of this are going to appear...

ric