sandip shete wrote:
> Hi,
>   I recieved the following ASC/ASCQ values as Additional Sense data :
> 31/00.
>   I looked it up and found that it stands for "MEDIUM FORMAT CORRUPTED".
> Does it mean that the target disk has bad sectors?

That error may be reported after a disk is reset during a
FORMAT operation. Another related case is a media access
after a MODE SELECT is used to change the sector size (e.g.
from 512 to 528 bytes) and prior to a FORMAT command which
actually reformats the disk to 528 byte sectors.

So if a disk is reporting that ASC/ASCQ sequence for ever
media access, then you need to format it. In that case
sg_format in sg3_utils may be useful.

Doug Gilbert