To whom it may concern:

I am working with a SuperMicro "Super Server" AS2020A-8RB with an
integrated LSI MegaRaid 1068e (Firmware M1068e.01.08221427R).

The configuation uses 3x 73 GB SAS drives in a RAID 5 configuration (using
the RAID key).

I am trying to get some combination of kernel and driver to detect these
drives to know avail.  I have tried a variety of boot CDs, pre-compiled
modules, and even patching the kernel source myself and compiling the
driver on the LSI website.  Nothing detects the RAID-5 logical drive.

Using vanilla kernel source version 2.6.23.12 and the LSISAS1068E Linux
driver version 4.00.13.04-1, I get the following compilation error:

# make modules
CHK     include/linux/version.h
CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
CC [M]  drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.o
drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.c: In function `mptsas_hotplug_work':
drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.c:3605: warning: passing arg 1 of
`schedule_delayed_work' from incompatible pointer type
drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.c:3651: warning: passing arg 1 of
`schedule_delayed_work' from incompatible pointer type
drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.c: In function
`mptsas_broadcast_primative_work': drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.c:4141:
error: structure has no member named `work'
drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.c:4141: warning: type defaults to `int' in
declaration of `__mptr'
drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.c:4141: warning: initialization from
incompatible pointer type
drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.c:4141: error: structure has no member named
`work'
drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.c: In function `mptsas_reprobe_lun':
drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.c:3289: warning: ignoring return value of
`scsi_device_reprobe', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
make[3]: *** [drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [drivers/message/fusion] Error 2
make[1]: *** [drivers/message] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

What is the easiest way to boot up on a LiveCD for Linux to conduct and
install that will detect the RAID-5 logical drive on this controller?

What is the best combination of kernel and driver source code that I can
use on a production system?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or if there are links to a
HOWTO or better drivers/patches to use with this hardware.

Thank you,

Cory Visi
Managing Partner
GC InfoTech, LLC