On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Hannes Reinecke wrote:

On 03/26/2013 07:00 PM, Chad Dupuis wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Hannes Reinecke wrote:

This patchset updates the SCSI midlayer to use 64-bit LUNs
internally.
It eliminates the need to limit the number of LUNs artificially to
avoid aliasing issues; the SCSI midlayer can now accept any LUN
presented
to it.

The LLDD specific settings for 'max_lun' have been left untouched;
it should be raised to '~0' if the HBA supports 64-bit LUNs
internally.
However, it is up to the driver maintainer to raise that limit.

Hannes Reinecke (4):
 scsi_scan: Fixup scsilun_to_int()
 scsi: use 64-bit LUNs
 scsi: use 64-bit value for 'max_luns'
 scsi: Remove CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN

Hannes,

As we've reviewed these patches internally, the one question that keeps
coming up is how do we handle hardware that cannot handle a 64-bit LUN
address? For example, some of our older 2G/bps hardware can only
handle a 16-bit LUN address.  Currently we convert the u32 value to u16.
>  Do we do the same for the 64-bit conversion? Can a way be
devised to
"opt-out" of receiving a 64-bit address in the first place (IIRC this
> was an option in the v1 patch set)?

Yes, you can.

The idea here is to let 'max_luns' control this behaviour;
'max_luns' is the highest LUN number the host can support.
So for 16-bit LUN you would set max_luns to '0xFFFF', and for 32-bit
LUN addresses you would be setting max_luns to '0xFFFFFFFF'.

However, since you mention it, maybe I should add a 'scsilun_to_u32'
conversion routine, as this is requested in several places.

Cheers,

Hannes

Hannes, thanks for the clarification.

This message and any attached documents contain information from QLogic
Corporation or its wholly-owned subsidiaries that may be confidential. If you
are not the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute, or use this
information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message.