On 03/29/2013 12:02 AM, Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) wrote:
There are several possible reasons for SCSI command timeouts:
     a) the command request did not get to the SCSI target port and logical
        unit (e.g., error on the wire)
     b) logical unit is still working on the command
     c) the command completed, but status didn't get to the SCSI initiator port
        and application client (e.g., error on the wire)

SCSI doesn't have a good way to detect case (c). For status delivery errors
detected by the logical unit, I once proposed that the logical unit establish
a unit attention condition and record the status delivery problem in a log
page (T10 proposal 04-072) but this proposal didn't draw much interest. The
QUERY TASK task management function can detect case (b) vs. the other cases.

With SSDs, a lengthy timeout derived from ancient SCSI floppy drives doesn't
make sense. Timeouts should scale automatically based on the device type
(e.g., use microseconds for SSDs and seconds for HDDs). The REPORT
SUPPORTED OPERATION CODES command provides some command timeout values
to facilitate this.

For Base feature set drives I'm encouraging an approach like this for
handling command timeouts:

1) at discovery time:
     1a) send REPORT SUPPORTED OPERATION CODES to determine the nominal
         and maximum command timeouts
     1b) send REPORT SUPPORTED TASK MANAGEMENT FUNCTION to determine
         the TMF timeouts

2) send the command (e.g., READ, WRITE, FORMAT UNIT, ...)

If status arrives for the command at any time, exit out of this procedure.
If an I_T nexus loss occurs, then that handling overrides this procedure
as well. Otherwise:

3) if the nominal command timeout is long (e.g., for a command like FORMAT
UNIT with IMMED=0, but not for IO commands like READ and WRITE), then wait
a short time and send QUERY TASK to ensure the command got there:
     3a) if the command is not there (probably lost in delivery, but
         possibly lost status), go to step (2) to resend the command
     3b) if the command is still being processed, keep waiting

4) if the nominal command timeout is reached, send QUERY TASK to determine
what is happening:
     4a) if the command is not there (if step (3) was run, then this
         probably means lost status), go to step (2) to resend the command
     4b) if the command is still being processed, keep waiting

5) if the maximum command timeout is reached, send QUERY TASK to determine
what is happening:
     5a) if the command is not there (since step (4) was run, this
          probably means lost status), go to step (2) to resend the command
     5b) if the command is still being processed, proceed to step (6)
         to abort the command

6) send ABORT TASK to abort the command

7) If ABORT TASK succeeds, either:
     7a) escalate to a stronger TMF or hard reset if this command
        keeps having repeated problems; or
     7b) go to step (2) to resend the command

8) If the ABORT TASK timeout is reached, either:
     8a) escalate to a stronger TMF or hard reset, then go to step (2)
         to resend the command; or
     8b) declare the logical unit is unavailable

Doug: for ***, In addition to WSNZ bit now letting the drive not support
the value of zero, T10 proposal 13-052 changes WRITE SAME so the NUMBER
OF LOGICAL BLOCKS set to zero (if supported) must honor the MAXIMUM WRITE
SAME LENGTH field, so the drive can provide a reasonable timeout value
for the command (not worry that the entire capacity might be specified).

Please let me summarize what this thread has talked about the scsi
eh latency:

1) some scsi cmds' timemout values are inappropriate, we can avoid
   timeout by:
   a) sg_format sets the IMMED bit and use TEST UNIT READY or REQUEST
      SENSE polling to monitor - by Douglas
   b) cut big cmd into some reasonable-sized ones - by Douglas
   c) improve timeout values according to device types - by Elliott
2) call ->done() on the command after lun reset - by Hannes

And, my question is:
- could we wake up eh thread ASAP instead of waiting for all cmds
  complete to fast scheduling?

BTW: my original question is here:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-scsi/msg65107.html

Thanks,