On Thu, 2013-04-11 at 16:52 -0500, Jeremy Linton wrote:
>       What happened to this patch? The trail of suggested fixes for the
> REPORT LUNS
> DATA HAS CHANGED check condition is getting pretty long. The number of devices
> (our product included) in the field that have the ability to on the fly modify
> the luns on an I_T nexus is not decreasing.

I haven't heard back about it.  If some people would ACK it I think that
would help.  I also submitted a separate patch for automatic LUN
removal.

>       Is it because these patches are trying to fix more than one thing?
>
>       What is the preferred way to fix this?
>
>       Why not simply add a couple sdev_evt_send_simple()'s and an event
> coalesce
> function to collapse this event when its received from multiple LUNs on the
> I_T? A couple extra uevents isn't going to kill udev right?

Well, the patch does that, among other things.  I think handling the
other UA codes is a good idea, because existing LUNs can be
reconfigured.  Coalescing events in the kernel is necessary because
udev couldn't handle a large number of events from a big storage
configuration.

>                                                             A really
> fancy
> patch could attempt to clear the check conditions from LUNs that share the
> I_T.

I think the mid-layer will handle that automatically.  If check
conditions are reported the commands will have to be reissued.

-Ewan