On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 18:24 -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> James might still be in the process of sending this your way.  However,
> given the proximity to -rc1, my reasoning for sending this directly is:
>
> 1/ It provides a tangible speed up for a non-esoteric use case (laptop
> resume):
>

> https://01.org/suspendresume/blogs/tebrandt/2013/hard-disk-resume-optimization-simpler-approach
>
> 2/ You already pulled the first half of this enabling from Tejun.
> Quoting Tejun's ATA pull request:
>
>   "Dan finishes the patchset to make libata PM operations
>    asynchronous.  Combined with one patch being routed through scsi,
>    this should speed resume measurably."
>
> 3/ As far as I can tell it is acceptable to James:
>
>   http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=139499409510791&w=2
>   http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=139508044602605&w=2
>   http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=139536062515216&w=2
>
> 4/ I promised Todd I would get it upstream before he returns from
> vacation.
>
> Please pull, thank you.

OK, so this missed the SCSI cutoff window because the series wasn't
finalised until 17 March and, originally, I thought Linus would cut us
off at -rc7 which was 16 March.  In reality we got an extra week, but I
spent that ironing out a few late arriving bugs in the tree itself
rather than integrating features.

For drivers, I'm willing to buck the release protocols a bit because
they're self contained, but for core features, they are supposed to be
all finalised by -rc5.  Plus Linus bites me every time I do it even for
drivers, so I was actually letting the scars heal a bit.

I also don't see this in linux-next, unless I'm not looking in the right
place, so it would be a bit of a risk adding it just before -rc1.

James