On Thu, 2015-01-08 at 14:29 -0800, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-01-08 at 14:16 -0800, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:

> > > Hello Sagi and Mike,
> > >
> > > I agree with Sagi that adding scsi-mq support in the iSER initiator
> > > would help iSER users because that would allow these users to configure
> > > a single iSER target and use the multiqueue feature instead of having to
> > > configure multiple iSER targets to spread the workload over multiple
> > > cpus at the target side.
> > >
> > > And I agree with Mike that implementing scsi-mq support in the iSER
> > > initiator as multiple independent connections probably is a better
> > > choice than MC/S. RFC 3720 namely requires that iSCSI numbering is
> > > session-wide. This means maintaining a single counter for all MC/S
> > > sessions. Such a counter would be a contention point. I'm afraid that
> > > because of that counter performance on a multi-socket initiator system
> > > with a scsi-mq implementation based on MC/S could be worse than with the
> > > approach with multiple iSER targets. Hence my preference for an approach
> > > based on multiple independent iSER connections instead of MC/S.
> > >

> > The idea that a simple session wide counter for command sequence number
> > assignment adds such a degree of contention that it renders MC/S at a
> > performance disadvantage vs. multi-session configurations with all of
> > the extra multipath logic overhead on top is at best, a naive
> > proposition.
> >
> > On the initiator side for MC/S, literally the only thing that needs to
> > be serialized is the assignment of the command sequence number to
> > individual non-immediate PDUs.  The sending of the outgoing PDUs +
> > immediate data by the initiator can happen out-of-order, and it's up to
> > the target to ensure that the submission of the commands to the device
> > server is in command sequence number order.
> >
> > All of the actual immediate data + R2T -> data-out processing by the
> > target can also be done out-of-order as well.
>
> Right, but what he's saying is that we've taken great pains in the MQ
> situation to free our issue queues of all entanglements and cross queue
> locking so they can fly as fast as possible.  If we have to assign an
> in-order sequence number across all the queues, this becomes both a
> cross CPU bus lock point to ensure atomicity and a sync point to ensure
> sequencing.  Naïvely that does look to be a bottleneck which wouldn't
> necessarily be mitigated simply by allowing everything to proceed out of
> order after this point.

The point is that a simple session wide counter for command sequence
number assignment is significantly less overhead than all of the
overhead associated with running a full multipath stack atop multiple
sessions.

Not to mention that our iSCSI/iSER initiator is already taking a session
wide lock when sending outgoing PDUs, so adding a session wide counter
isn't adding any additional synchronization overhead vs. what's already
in place.

--nab