On 01/12/2015 02:12 PM, Ewan Milne wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-01-08 at 07:43 +0100, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> It is not good practice to display the kernel pointer
>> in any message logs, and it doesn't display any additional
>> information. And as we know have block-layer assigned tags
>> we can use them to differentiate the messages.
>> So remove any pointer references from the displayed messages.
>>

> I'd actually be sad to see this go -- I have found it useful
> in the past when debugging crash dumps from customer sites
> to be able to look in the kernel messages and see that a
> particular scsi_cmnd had been aborted just before the crash
> (and then later completed).

But that's precisely why we've prefixed the scmd messages with the
tag number; with that you'll be able to extract the same information.

And now that hch separated out the block layer tagging from SCSI-2
TCQ we should have the tag number available for any command, not
just those from drivers which use TCQ.

Let me know if that isn't the case; this patch indeed only makes
sense if the tag number is always available.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                            zSeries & Storage
h...@suse.de                                   +49 911 74053 688