Brian/Manoj,

See my alternate proposal below.

-matt

On Jun 9, 2015, at 9:37 AM, Manoj Kumar wrote:
> On 6/9/2015 6:29 AM, Brian King wrote:
>>>
>>> This was the optimization to avoid the MMIO for both threads. The other
>>> thread that raced should
>>> do the atomic set of afu->room to a positive value.
>>
>> Let's take the simpler scenario of just one thread.
>>
>> Let's start with afu->room = 1
>> We call atomic64_dec_if_positive, which results in afu->room going to zero
>> and 0 being returned,
>> so we go into the if leg.
>>
>> If afu->room is zero every time we read it from the adapter and we exhaust
>> our retries,
>> we return SCSI_MLQUEUE_HOST_BUSY. However, the next time we enter
>> cxlflash_send_cmd,
>> since afu->cmd is now 0, it will no longer get decremented, but the return
>> value will
>> be -1, so we'll go down the else if leg. We'll never get into the if leg
>> again to
>> re-read afu->room from the AFU. The simplest fix might just be to set
>> afu->room = 1
>> if you ever leave the if leg without having room.
>
> Good suggestion. Will atomic64_set(&afu->room, 1), if we exhaust retries in
> both legs.

While I agree this will work it seems a bit of a kludge.

What if we instead take advantage of our existing work queue and create a new
work item that
simply MMIO reads and atomically sets afu->room? With this, instead of slamming
in a 1 to
satisfy our logic such that a subsequent command will MMIO read, we would
schedule the new
work item and let afu->room be updated with a real value from the card.

The only downside I see with this approach is that it has the potential to
relax the window of time
that we're 'down' (no room) and sending back busy...although that might not be
such a bad thing
if we were to get into this condition.

Thoughts?