On 10/30/2015 03:12 PM, Chad Dupuis wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 2015, Hannes Reinecke wrote:

>>> This was why I was asking if there was a blk-mq API to be able to set
>>> CPU affinity for the hardware context queues so I could steer the
>>> submissions to the CPUs that my receive queues are on (even if they are
>>> allowed to float).
>>>
>> But what would that achieve?
>> Each of the hardware context queues would still having to use the
>> same submission queue, so you'd have to have some serialisation
>> with spinlocks et.al. during submission. Which is what blk-mq
>> tries to avoid.
>> Am I wrong?
>
> Sadly, no I believe you're correct. So essentially the upshot seems to
> be if you can have a 1x1 request:response queue then sticking with the
> older queuecommand method is better?

Hmm; you might be getting some performance improvements as the
submission path from the blocklayer down is more efficient, but in
your case the positive effects might be eliminated by reducing the
number of receive queues.
But then you never know until you try :-)

The alternative would indeed be to move to MC/S with block-mq; that
should give you some benefits as you'd be able to utilize several queues.
I have actually discussed that with Emulex; moving to MC/S in the iSCSI
stack might indeed be viable when using blk-mq. It would be a rather
good match with the existing blk-mq implementation, and most of the
implementation would be in the iSCSI stack, reducing the burden on the
driver vendors :-)

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
h...@suse.de                          +49 911 74053 688