Christoph,
for Atari SCSI, commands can only be merged if the physical addresses
of all buffers are contiguous (limitation of the Falcon DMA engine).
Documentation/scsi/scsi_mid_low_api.tx does not spell out whether that
is the case.

Atari SCSI disables scatter/gather, so if that's sufficient to cue
midlevel or bio to not undertake any merging, the flag is no longer
needed.

Cheers,

  Michael