I submitted a patch a couple weeks ago that sets the SDpnt->online=FALSE if
the peripheral qualifier returned with a value 1 (device not physically
connected).  This just avoids the READ_CAPACITY inquiry and resulting error.
As Justin suggests, the SCSI layer could take it to mean that a device won't
be connected on that LUN, so it shouldn't attach to that device, and then
later if a physical device IS connected, then use the scsi-add-single-device
mechanism to bind it to a device name.

int scan_scsis_single()
  if (((scsi_result[0] >> 5) & 7) == 1)  SDpnt->online = FALSE;
  else SDpnt->online = TRUE;

-Matt