http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8287

sorry cross posting :)
Warning to LG drive owners who plan to install Mandrake 9.2
Posted by Sean Byrne on 24 October 2003 - 22:26 - Source: Mandrake Linux

joerg_kling used our news submit to let us know that Mandrake Linux support have warned not to install Mandrake 9.2 on any machine with an LG-based CD- ROM drive. Many users have reported that installing Mandrake Linux 9.2 particularly on Dell computers with an LG drive ended up rendering their LG CD-ROM drive unusable, even after multiple reboots. This includes network installations also.

Error scenario: Installing 9.2 and being told unable to install the base system and subsequent reboot reveals that CD-ROM drive is physically dead.

Why: According to LG Electronics, their ODD (Optical Disc Drive) products do not support Linux nor do they test with Linux. Unfortunately, many Dell computers (possibly others) come with these CD-ROM drives.

Solution: Currently there is no solution or work-around for this issue; it is still under investigation. Damage occurs even when doing a network install. At this point, please do not install Mandrake Linux 9.2 on any computer containing a LG-based CD-ROM drive or it will damage your CD-ROM drive! We are actively looking for a solution to this problem.

I had Mandrake 8 corrupt the BIOS in my previous machine. While it installed fine, the computer crashed while Mandrake ran its soundcard configuration utility. When I tried rebooting, the PC would lock up just after displaying the IDE device list before the boot stage. Later on when I built a new PC I gave Mandrake 8.2 another try, but this time it would crash when ever I loaded any CD in my Samsung SW408 CD-Recorder! I have switched over to Redhat Linux 9 and have not tried any later Mandrake version so far.

joerg_kling wrote: If the LG drives hardware can be destroyed simply with some software, then it's not a plus for their drives in my opinion. One should consider a second thought if you should really buy their drives. In my opinion it's definitively a drive problem and it may happen to every other operating system anytime!

berita lainnya ada :
di slashdot.org dan mandrakelinux.com sendiri :)

-- ./me adwin