At 02:30 PM 10/22/2002 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:49:06PM -0700, Joe Burks wrote:
>  static int
> -vicam_write_proc(struct file *file, const char *buffer,
> +vicam_write_proc(struct file *file, const char *buf,
>                        unsigned long count, void *data)

Thanks to Oliver, I just noticed this.

Ick.  Please use driverfs/sysfs, and have one value per file.  A parser
should not be in kernelspace.
I have no problem changing this, though I think that the "standard" for a V4L device was to offer control through a proc entry in the manner I was using it. I had copied the code from the cpia driver which has been in there for a long time unchanged. It also exists in the Zoran driver. The usbvideo.c mini-driver also offers callback options to allow drivers to create a proc entry and allow writes to it. The "write to proc entry" mentality is fairly entrenched in V4L.

So is it appropriate to break the long standing, but probably bad and not a documented standard anyway, practice in this case?

-Joe