At 01:04 AM 10/25/2002 +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
So this is safe if, and only if, remove_proc_entry waits
for current readers to finish before it returns.
As far as I can tell, this is not the case.

So reading from the proc file while the camera is disconnected is
potentially deadly. I see no easy fix.
Comments?

        Regards
                Oliver
:( I was hoping to ask on the list tonight if anybody had an idea how to do that.

If I read that correctly, any USB driver creating a proc entry will have a disconnect race, right? (I'm betting that will be true for any hot pluggable device with a proc entry) Can a proc_fs patch to do the wait make it in or is it too late for 2.6/3.0?

Does driverfs have the same problem? You'd mentioned some problems with it earlier.

-Joe