Hi, all

I just started with it, so please excuse me if question is not very
clear.

We have a custom built board with PXA processor and ISP1160 USB host
controller.
I am trying to connect USB webcam to it and I have some problems.

Currently, system does not have a video connected, we talk to it via
serial. All the USB device tests we do by using 'cat' command to read
data from /dev/<device>. USB mouse and USB card reader were tested and
seem to work OK.

Webcam is the first isochronous device we try. It is being detected
normally, but attempt to do 'cat' (we actually use dd and specify that
only few bytes have to be read) result in system being frozen. A reset
is needed.
We get pretty much same effect if board is booted up with webcam
connected. It can only be connected when Linux is up and running.
We use ARM Linux 2.4.19 with all the patches. USB host driver for
ISP1160 is by Troy Kisky (thanks Troy!). Driver is not using DMA.
I am using PWC driver for the web cam. It is for a Philips web cam and I
added an ID string for my camera (Logitech Quickcam Notebook Pro).

Anyway, I suspect that it is not a good idea to just read from camera.
>From brief look at the driver code, camera also uses video system in
Linux and, I suspect, this causes my problem, because we do not have
video system working.
Can anyone verify my suspicions?

Any help on USB webcams interface is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rudolf
P.S. Same webcam driver was compiled for PC and camera worked fine on
PC.