No kernel newer than 2.6.5 seems to work for my SMP box these days.. :-/

On Linux 2.6.10-rc2, my ALI USB controller no longer works properly.
Specifically, ehci connection are slow (not usb2.0 high-speed). It seems that
the kernel thinks that my controller has experienced a fatal error. The
following "fix" to line 858 of ehci-hcd.c gets past that:

change
if (unlikely ((status & STS_FATAL) != 0)) {
if (0) {

Then, it more or less works, but you get tons of I/O errors when reading:

end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 2712
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 339
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 2712
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 339
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 2712
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 339
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 2712
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 339
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 2712
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 339
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 2720
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 340
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 2720

On reconnecting devices I get strange warnings, like so:

usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 2
usb 1-4.3: USB disconnect, address 6
usb 1-4.4: USB disconnect, address 5
usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
hub 1-4:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-4:1.0: 4 ports detected
usb 1-4.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
usb 1-4.3: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
usb-storage: device found at 8
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb 1-4.4: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
usb 1-4.4: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
usb-storage: device found at 9
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: PLEXTOR   Model: DVDR   PX-712A    Rev: 1.05
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 15x/94x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi7, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg11 at scsi7, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 5
usb-storage: device scan complete
  Vendor: PLEXTOR   Model: CD-R   PX-W2410A  Rev: 1.04
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi8, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg12 at scsi8, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 5
usb-storage: device scan complete
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 2512

(on high-speed devices, hubs and controllers)

but no oops'es, crashes or lockups. Just a kernel that doesn't work work :-/

I feel I'm so very close to having solved the last problem with 2.6.10-rc2,
and I would really like to use it. Any suggestions?

---------- ver_linux:

Linux boreas.iversen-net.dk 2.6.10-rc2-boreas #9 SMP Thu Nov 18 21:45:48 CET
2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Gnu C                  3.3.4
Gnu make               3.80
binutils               2.15
util-linux             2.12
mount                  2.12
module-init-tools      3.1-pre6
e2fsprogs              1.35
reiserfsprogs          3.6.19
reiser4progs           line
xfsprogs               2.6.20
nfs-utils              1.0.6
Linux C Library        2.3.2
Dynamic linker (ldd)   2.3.2
Procps                 3.2.2
Net-tools              1.60
Console-tools          0.2.3
Sh-utils               5.2.1
Modules Loaded         ns83820 psmouse prism54

--
Regards,
Christian Iversen