On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Andy Stewart wrote:

> HI Alan et al,
>
> Alan Stern wrote:
> >
> > At least you've ruled out the operating system version as the source of
> > the problem.
>
> Well, that's not yet clear to me.  The two systems have significantly
> different hardware configurations.

Sure.  But all the OS versions you tried on the laptop worked, and all
those same OS versions on the server failed.  To me that suggests some
sort of hardware incompatibility rather than a version-related software
problem.

> I tried 2.6.12.5 without SMP (I did not want to disturb my 2.6.12.3
> setup) to no avail.  It fails in the same way.
>
> I am wondering if something in the hotplug system would cause or remedy
> this type of behavior.
>
> Other ideas or suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated.

I would be very suprised if the hotplug system was related to this in any
way.  One way to test that is by doing "modprobe usb-storage" before you
plug in the device.  Then there won't be any hotplug activity at all.  Try
it on both the server and the laptop.

It's very strange.  The log indicates clearly that the device did
receive the command and did not send a response.  When attached to the
laptop it received the same command and _did_ send a response.  Why should
the device behave differently in the two settings?

Could it be because the device is running behind a hub?  What happens if
you remove the hub and plug the device directly into the server?