Hi,

on a VIA Eden box, I'm getting sporadic USB disconnects after longer
operation times. Typically, there is no USB load when it disconnects.
The kernel output is like this:

kernel: hub 4-0:1.0: state 5 ports 6 chg 0000 evt 0008
kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:10.3: GetStatus port 3 status 00180b POWER
sig=j PEC CSC CONNECT
kernel: hub 4-0:1.0: port 3, status 0501, change 0003, 480 Mb/s
kernel: usb 4-3: USB disconnect, address 2
kernel: usb 4-3: usb_disable_device nuking all URBs
kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:10.3: shutdown urb c633cc20 pipe 80000280 ep0in
kernel: usb 4-3: hcd_unlink_urb c633cc20 fail -16

Attached are either a rt2570-based USB WLAN stick (via native driver) or
a LinkSys WUSB54G WLAN adapter (via ndiswrapper). Both fail, and in both
cases the USB subsystem locks up in some nasty way (deadlock, rest of
system still alive) so that no resetting/unloading of the involved
drivers is possible. Only a hard reboot helps. I'm watching this effect
for quite a while now, so far with 2.6.8 kernels, now also with a recent
2.6.14.2.

I could live with the fact that my hardware may have some sporadic
problems and I have to reset/reload parts of my system from time to
time; it's easy to setup a watchdog script for this. But the hanging USB
stack prevents this.

Any ideas? Any additional information required? I could instrument the
code and reproduce this if it helps to track the reason down.

Thanks in advance,
Jan

PS: Please CC, I'm not subscribed.