On 10/10/06, Clemens Ladisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You could read the delay just after the write and check that it is at
> least as big as the data you've written, but this can, of course, race
> in the other way. (Well, you could think of that as a safety margin ...)

The race is more acceptable in the other direction, but as you say it
is still a race.
The second problem with that approach, though, is that the
false-positives will 'pile up'.

If I underrun and the delay goes negative, then write another 1024
samples, the depth will go to some number that is positive but less
than 1024 as you said.  But, in fact, I have 1024 samples in the
queue.  The depth will go negative again before they're done playing!

> The ALSA API was designed before the USB driver.

...but not before the OSS USB audio driver?  OSS also had USB support
(although it was terrible).  But that's neither here nor there.

Monty