On Sat, 21 Apr 2007, Wolf Faust wrote:

> > You haven't provided a clear description of what the problem is.  It would
> > help to see a dmesg log with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG turned on.
>
> Dear Alan,
>
> just just wanted to ask first before posting dlogs. So here I go with
> the details about the problem with the Seagate FreeAgent drives:
>
> 1. Boot system (here Intel based Thinkpad T60 and 2.6.21rc7) and
> mount ext3 partition on a Seagate FreeAgent external usb drive.
>
> 2. Wait some minutes until the Freeagent drive spins down itself
> (default standby setup made by Seagate seems to be 15 minutes).
>
> 3. Now access the drive and the partition will become read-only. In
> my case, I simply did a simple "ls /media/bigst1" command and any
> write access will fail after that.
>
> Actually, doing a number of reads will spinup the drive. So doing a
> "dd if=/dev/bigst1  of=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=20" before the ls
> command will spin up the drive without the partition becoming read-
> only.
>
> So here is the dmesg when doing the "ls /media/bigst1":

Just the important parts:

> usb-storage: Command READ_10 (10 bytes)
> usb-storage:  28 00 00 00 02 40 00 00 08 00

> usb-storage: -- unexpectedly short transfer
> usb-storage: Issuing auto-REQUEST_SENSE

> usb-storage: -- code: 0x70, key: 0x2, ASC: 0x4, ASCQ: 0x2
> usb-storage: Not Ready: Logical unit not ready, initializing command
> required

Okay, that's clear.

First of all, this is not a problem with autoresume.  The drive was never
suspended and it was never resumed.  It's a problem with auto-spin-down.
As such it has nothing whatsoever to do with USB.

You might be able to fix it by writing an appropriate value to an
attribute file in sysfs.  In this case you need to do something like:

        echo 1 >/sys/block/sda/device/allow_restart

The path might be slightly different, but you definitely want the file
named "allow_restart" associated with the drive.  Setting that value will
enable the system to spin-up the disk when necessary.

If that doesn't work, you might want to try posting to the linux-scsi
mailing list.