On Wed, 30 May 2007, Andy Stewart wrote:

> I have a Symbol USB barcode scanner that appears to work with Linux.
> If I bring up a Konsole window and give it focus, characters are typed
> into that window as I scan barcodes. However, what I'd like to do is
> grab those characters in a C program.  I suppose that I should be able
> to open the proper device and the characters would be available.

Yes, just open the proper evdev interface in /dev/input/event<X> and read
the events directly from there. See Documentation/input/input.txt, section
5.

You can use ioctl(EVIOCGID) to obtain vendor id/product id corresponding
to the given input device, so you can easily look up the event device
corresponding to the device you are looking for.

--
Jiri Kosina