You might be able to make this work if you make your device indicate that
it has removeable media.  Then, whenever you post an update, you will need
to force a media-change indication.

That will probably work for Windows, and for Linux will only work for
devices which are accessed without mounting (i.e. via mtools or somesuch).
With a mounted filesystem, you're pretty much stuck.

Matt

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 03:38:09PM -0800, Brad Schick wrote:
> Looking for some input on the following problem that I realized isn't
> really usb specific:
>
> My goal is to display an html page that resides on a usb mass-storage
> device and changes over time. The mass-storage device will be
> read-only from the host OS, but needs to self modify its own data. The
> end-user will view an html page that periodically refreshes itself and
> hopefully changes over time. My concern is how caching in the host OS
> may hide these changes.
>
> The usb device's MCU is very small and doesn't have space for a FAT
> driver. To modify its data I was planning to just poke changes
> directly to hard-coded offsets (the files can be pre-allocated since
> data is not created, just modified). Perhaps I could also poke the FAT
> file date, but would that be enough to cause Linux to reload the file?
> Or will the kernel assume all changes to local file-systems must pass
> through the kernel and miss even that?
>
> Maybe there is a better approach? One big limitation is that nothing
> can be installed on the host. And I'll have to figure out Windows
> eventually as well.
>
> Thanks,
> -Brad

Matthew Dharm                              Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Oh great modem, why hast thou forsaken me?
                                        -- Dust Puppy
User Friendly, 3/2/1998